Saturday 6 October 2012

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

I've left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don't, put the book back on the shelf, please.

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favourite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions? Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.
 
I've wanted to read one of Rachel Cohn and David Levithan's collaborations for ages so I was excited when I got my request on Netgalley.  I loved the simple fun and witty air to this book!
 
What I loved:
  • Concept- I love the idea of two strangers exchanging a notebook of dares- such a unique and clever concept. It wasn't completely realistic but that's what made it so readable and fun. Setting it during Christmas
  • Dash and Lily- I loved how both their character were exaggerated but relatable. I loved how Lily learnt how to transition from shrilly to lily all by herself and branched out to make new friends.
  • Sofia- I was surprised how much I loved Dash's ex girlfriend. She was a refreshingly nice and realistic ex instead of the cliche crazy exes that always seem to pop up!
  • Lily's family- So amazing! From her quirky Aunt Ida who worked at the waxworks and offered out great advice to her Grandpa with his mini mafia of retired shop owners to her typical bored employee cousin Mark! They were all brilliantly written and cleverly inserted into the plot :)
  • Ending- I actually loved how it end with everything not completely resolved or clear but enough resolution to satisfy!
  • Dares- The central plot- loved them! They were inventive, fun and clever. I think make-a-monster was my favourite- mainly because it was cute and lasted throughout the book as a memento.
What I didn't love as much:
  • Ernest- He was sort of interesting but I didn't really see the point of him!
  • Lily's brother- Lily viewed him as her closest friend and had supported him through his break up but he was just so insensitive to her! He pretty much abandoned her despite her obvious loneliness.
 This was such a feel good read! It leaves you a smile on your face!
 
 
Which collab should I read next?
Nick and Norah or Naomi and Ely?
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

5 comments:

  1. I definitely need to read this one! It sounds fantastic. I recently read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and it was fantastic! So I'd recommend that one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fun read!
      I will be taking up your recommendation as soon as I catch up on my TBR!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I adored this book. It was so much fun. I agree with Tabitha, Nick & Norah is fantastic too! It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great read!
      I've seen the film and loved it so I really should pick up the book!
      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I keep seeing this book wherever I go - I think I need to read it asap! Great review and I think I may have to buy a red notebook!

    ReplyDelete

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!