Tuesday 9 October 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Minor Characters

 
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish.
This week's topic is: Top Ten Minor Characters

Check out my new header! What do you think of it? It's my very first homemade one :)

I love a well written cast of side characters so this topic is perfect for me! I've tried to vary my favourites between recent and older reads but it was hard as recent reads stick in my mind longer!
In no particular order as always!

 Xander from Matched and Erin from Easy by Tammara Webber
Erin
I loved her character, she was both stereotypical and surprising. As a sorority girl whose dating a frat boy you expect to read either a clever but shallow girl or an airhead with an inflated sense of self- Erin was none of these stereotypes! I liked her defence and encouragement of Jacqueline even in the face of harming her own relationships. I loved how she instantly signed them for self-defence classes and her enthusiastic engagement in them!  I would love to room with her at University, she'd be so much fun!
Xander
I named him as one of the things I loved most about Matched and if I'm honest I think I loved him more than Cassia! There was so much more to him than met the eye. He was perceptive, competitive, loyal but also observant enough to know who or what to be loyal to! Don't know if my opinion will change on reading Crossed and Reached but as it stands I find him to be a good solid male character with value and flaws!

Briony from Amy and Roger's Epic Detour and Jeremy from While It Lasts
 
Briony
She barely had any 'screen' time but she really impacted me! I loved her sunshine attitude and I feel her and Amy could have been best friends judging from the way she changed up Amy's suitcase. I loved her family slogan of Get up Dress up Show up.

Jeremy.
I loved this guy! He was such a good brother and a fantastic support to Eva. I admired how his sacrificed a year of his life to be with her and grieve with her even when he was ready to move on. I really hope we see more of him!
Roar from Under the Never Sky and Finnick Odair from Catching Fire!
Roar
I loved Roar! He is such a genuinely nice guy. I liked the bromance and acceptance between him and Perry. I loved how he treated Aria so nicely and looked out for her. I loved his parallel forbidden love story with Liv. I'm excited to read more about him in the short story.
Finnick
I defy any one who's read The Hunger Games series to dislike Finnick! He was such a conflicted yet intriguing character. I loved him in Catching Fire with his bravado and teasing coupled with his genuine devotion to (name). I liked the development of his character in Mockingjay although it was harsh in ways. I loved his relationship with Katniss and Peeta, he seemed to get them as individuals and as a couple. His own relationship with Annie was so sweet I couldn't;t help but love them.

 
Jonathan from the Song of the Lioness Quartet and Rosto from Terrier
Jonathan.
Who doesn't love a prince? Especially a clever, heroic one! I loved how he grew from an arrogant boy to a mature balanced ruler who could approach situations level headed. He was probably the only character who was liked by almost everyone! I love his bromance with George who was his complete opposite! I
Rosto
I initially liked how much he reminded me of George, a witty thief! I loved how he treated his role as King as caregiver and did his best to keep his people feed. I loved how open he was especially as it annoyed Beka! I loved his affection for Beka- I really missed him in Bloodhound and Mastiff

Genie from Castle in the Air, Howl created by Diana Wynne Jones
 
Genie/Howl
I love his attitude and snarky replies. He really adds to the book and leads  to his goal. The twist in the end is actually why I love him the most because it was glaringly obvious once you read it!
Howl was the quintessential useless wizard! He was a lady's man but incapable of looking after himself. Vain and cowardly but proved himself to be clever and heroic when necessary. The man gave his heart to a fallen star- how can you not admire and love that!

Missing from this post!

Ron and Hermione
Let's be honest they were never minor characters past chapter of the Philosopher's Stone

George Cooper, Neal, Raoul, Nawat, Kaddar etc by Tamora Pierce
I could probably do a top ten minor characters featuring just her books! So I tried to vary my two TP representatives :)


Let me know your favourite minor characters!
Much love!
Lettie!
Xxxx

6 comments:

  1. Love your "homemade" header! That's what I love about blogging...all the little amazingness-es here and there. It reminds me of how wonderful human beings can be.

    Very nice!

    Here's my Ten Ten Words I Love. I hope you'll stop in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm rubbish at designing things so I'm really glad you like it!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. FINNICK!!!!! Great topic choice! You're right - a hero/heroine is only as good as their supporting cast.

    Love the homemade banner, and the overall layout. Good color selection - it doesn't strain the eyes. Very appealing.

    I picked Top Ten Book That Broke My Heart:
    http://theirishbanana.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-ten-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Rubbish supporting cast= rubbish book!
      I'm so glad you like it- I'm normally not very good at actually making good designs so I'm pleased it's turned out well!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. *cheers* LOVE your Pierce picks (and honorable mentions) and LOVE this list! I tend to fall head-over-heels for minor characters even more than main characters. For instance, I adore Much from SCARLET (by A.C. Gaughen) and Beast from GRAVE MERCY (by Robin LaFevers).

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-rewind-top-ten-bookish.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to find another Pierce fan! I love her supporting casts so much!
      Glad you love the list :D Love your picks too
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!