Saturday 20 October 2012

Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.
DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.
Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.
Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.
If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers

This was the first YA dystopia book I picked up by myself without hearing anything about it or seeing it everywhere! I clearly know how to pick them- I loved this book! It was intriguing, well crafted and left me wanting more! At least I'll have Roar and Liv's novellla to tided me over! 

What I loved:
  • Realms- Loved this concept! The idea of virtual reality being an actual future possibility was popular in the 90s so I loved to see it 'resurrected' in this book. It seemed like such a perfect idea to keep people 'safe' while allowing them to 'experience' life. I also loved the issues that arose from living and experiencing life in a virtual reality.
  • Senses- I liked that the Outsiders had a sort of evolutionary advantage. I loved how they were described and depicted. I was so intrigued by the different types and keeping to your own type. Can't wait to learn more! 
  • Aria- Aria initially annoyed me but I grew to love her. I enjoyed how she grew and accepted the changes in her life with maturity. It was so interesting to see her adjust to the real world and real experiences outside of her cushioned life. I also respected how she dealt with all the 'random' events that happened to her without completely going crazy!
  • Relationships- The relationships in this book were well written and developed. I loved how Aria and Perry developed. I liked how Aria and her mother were portrayed through Aria's eyes. Perry and Talon had such a sweet relationship and interesting bond  and I enjoyed the banter between Perry and Roar.  
  • Perry- Like Aria I wasn't his biggest fan- he was quite rough and harsh but at least he had his reasons! I liked how mysterious he seemed to Aria with his heightened senses and different values. I loved how he crafted Aria shoes as gesture of apology as well as how sweet he tried to be about her starting her periods. He was also so self assured and impressive trekking across ground- I'd love to have him guide me somewhere!
  • Roar- Roar provided a sort of foil to Perry. He was fun loyal and more relaxed. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I liked the bromance and acceptance between him and Perry. I loved how he treated Aria so nicely and looked out for her as well as connecting with her.. I loved his parallel forbidden love story with Liv. I'm excited to read more about him in the upcoming short novella!
What I didn't love as much
  • Vale- I didn't really connect or feel much sympathy for him to begin with and the more I learnt about the less I liked! How can he be related to Perry, Talon and Liv? They all seem like decent people!
  • Consul Hess- Typical power crazed high authority figure! How could he dump Aria outside while his son was the instigator and killer of the incident? He was very callous and selfish about the issues everyone was facing. He was also ruthless and devious with the way he blackmail Aria and dealt with Outsiders.
  • Ward- He seem so weak willed and a bit pathetic. I'm sure he was aware of Hess' deceit/inappropriate experiments but he continued to happily work for him! He essentially betrayed Aria and her mother as Aria was so sure she could trust him....
 

I think I loved this book so much because it was unexpected! I'd never heard anything about Veronia Rossi or the book so it took me by surprise with it's brilliant and unique world building and fantastic characters!
 
Let me know if you loved Under The Never Sky too!
10 days to Roar and Liv!
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!