A local band picks up her song from Youtube and soon she’s along for the ride with her own fanbase as they blow up on the local club scene and hit the international charts. Though it turns out leaving Cam behind isn’t as easy as she had hoped.
Tangled in a web of unfinished homework, ill-considered sexting and a new lead-singer boyfriend, Poppy has a choice to make between the ex that inspired it all and the rock God whose poster lines the inside of half the lockers at school. But as she struggles to keep her emotional dirty laundry private, she learns that the truth can be hard to find when your life is in the headlines!
Welcome to the Kiss Off Blog Tour! This is the first of two posts! *due to a scheduling error it's actually the second!*
I loved the sound of Kiss Off so I was thrilled to get a chance to read it!
What I loved:
- Poppy- I loved how spontaneous she was! She literally just picked a random boy, recorded songs when she felt it. I think the way she dealt with Cam and Nikki was very realistic, regardless of semantics it was a betrayal- the song was only an issue as it was so popular! The whole 'sexting' issue was again realistic- Her snap decision to send it was based on the very real anxieties of any girl separated from their new boyfriend, especially one who feels she has been cheated on before. At least he realised it was stupid straight away! I
- Youtube/music- I loved the role Youtube and Music played in the book it made it seem very current! I liked how casual Poppy and her friends were about her uploading her songs until 'Kiss Off' exploded! I thought her parents were a little uninvolved with it- they really could of learnt alot about Poppy's life by watching her videos!
- Plot- I really enjoyed the plot, it was a bit familiar but the characters and inclusion of Youtube freshened it up!
- Ty- Who wouldn't like a charming musician?? I liked how he was honest and laid all his cards out. I felt a bit sorry for him as his fame escalated because it made everything so much harder for him! I would of liked to read more of him..
- Side cast- I always love a good side cast! What I liked most about this one was the variety! Most main characters have one or two 'main' friends and then a few nondescript ones throw in. Ty had distinct friends and Poppy actually had a variety of different friends! They were all well written and individual. I think Mads was my favourite- I'd actually love to read her story!
- Poppy- I think what I liked and disliked about her most was how she really frustrated me and annoyed me like any teenager would! She was stubborn and very wishy washy! Also if some guy recorded my song and made it a hit my first question would be, where's my cheque?! Poppy did not seem at all bothered despite the fact she was struggling to save up for a car....
- Cam- I didn't really understand why his role seemed to morph into a completely different one halfway through... I didn't buy Poppy and him together, if he liked her so much regardless of how forward Nikki was, he would have waited for her to come home to actually talk to her before jumping in to another relationship. I also disliked how easily Poppy let him off the hook compared to Ty!
- Location- When I found out the author was from Australia I was super excited to read a book set in Australia! I was quite disappointed when I realised it wasn't. Nothing wrong with location, I just would have preferred Australia!
- Warning/Rating- The Goodreads description has a warning of sexual references and coarse language. I didn't think there was any 'real' coarse language and the sexual references were realistic to the age group the book is aimed at. I've read similar books with no warning and far worse situations!
I'm so excited for the sequel- I posted a sneak peek!