Friday 16 August 2013

Jolene Perry on New Adult.

Today Jolene Perry is sharing her opinions on and experience with New Adult! Jolene is another of my favourites and has collaborated with both Nyrae Dawn and Steph Campbell.
 
Jolene's Thoughts. 
What's funny is that my first published book was a New Adult book, even though there wasn't a name for that genre yet. I wrote the story of a girl whose first year of college was delayed because she got cancer. When she's finally able to go, she's forced to live next door to her brother and she maybe...might...end up being close friends with a guy who she may or may not fall for ;-) .....That was The Next Door Boys.
 
Steph Campbell and I did the same thing with My Heart for Yours. We wrote it as an upper YA, but once NA came out, we both knew our book fit into that category better.

When the NA category came out for real, I realized that a LOT of what I'd written fell under the age guidelines, so I cleaned them up and published - Falling, Left to Love, My Forever, 10 Weeks, 3 Sides to a Circle... 

I know that nearly all of the NA titles out right now are romance, and most of my novels focus on that, but I LOVE college stories. I love friendship stories. I love the idea that for the first time in a person's life, they're accountable for their own actions but they maybe haven't had enough experience to choose well ;-) I'm excited to watch NA branch out into all kinds of stories, exploring the time in our lives when we really come into our own and learn who we are.

 
 
Jolene grew up in South-central Alaska. She’s lived in Anchorage, near the Alyeska ski resort, on a cabin on an island on a lake, and then in a boring old house.
Jolene cannot express how many times she wished she could write a whole novel. And now she has. Several times. Life is good.
 
 
 
Thank you so much to Jolene for very kindly taking the time to feature on my blog even with her recent release Out of Play!
 
I love that Jolene mentioned that New Adult style books have been around but now it has it's own genre it can branch out and diversify. I also love college/university stories, it's such an unique environment!
 
Do you agree with Jolene?
Can you think of any 'Upper YA' books that would be New Adult now?
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!