Monday 12 August 2013

Steph Campbell on New Adult.

Steph Campbell is the first of my New Adult authors to give their perspective on the genre
What first drew you to New Adult?
The infinite number of amazing stories to read and tell from the NA age range. To me, NA is typically college age (18-24-ish) (even if the characters don’t attend college.)
Those are the years of so many firsts. First time away from home, first real relationships, first time living along, first major responsibilities and first real time to face hurdles on your own—with no parachute. It’s an incredible time to read and write about.
 
Why did you want to write a New Adult book?
Previously, I’d written what I’d call Mature/Older YA. There wasn’t really a whole lot of (what is now referred to as) New Adult out there.
The first NA book I wrote was LENGTHS (with Liz Reinhardt). At that time, Liz and I set out to write a book that we wanted to read, but couldn’t find. A Smart, sexy, college-aged romance with a lot of heart. I hope we accomplished that with the Lengths series! J
 
What does “New Adult” mean to you?
To me, New Adult is less about sexual content (though, the age does allow for more graphic content) and more about finding yourself. I think new adult is essentially coming of age. Books about self-discovery now that you’re on your own, and turning into the person you are going to be.
 
What would you love to see next in New Adult?
More character driven books, and less reliance heavy sexual content and huge plot twists.  

 
 
Stephanie Campbell lives in Southwest Louisiana and is a happily married mother to four evil geniuses, is a nail polish addict and YA Junkie. When she isn't reading, writing or wiping someone's nose, you can usually find her baking something. She blogs at: http://stephcampbell.blogspot.com/
 
Thank you so much to Steph for very kindly taking the time to feature on my blog even as she's moving!
I definitely agree that New Adult encompasses a time of so many firsts and creates a very diverse genre!
 
What do you think?
Much Love!
Lettie.
Xxx

1 comment:

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!