Tuesday 26 November 2013

Faster We Burn by Chelsea M. Cameron.

Katie Hallman is done with douchebags. Done with guys who treat her like crap and leave her broken. But then Stryker Grant is there anyway. With his numerous piercings and bleached hair, he’s the polar opposite of all of her past relationships, which makes him the perfect candidate.
At first, Katie just sees him as a physical escape from her previous rocky relationship, and Stryker doesn’t seem to mind just being a distraction from Katie’s problems. But soon he’s getting under her skin, peeling back layers she’d rather keep covered. She tries to make it clear that she doesn’t want a relationship, but keeps breaking her own rules.
Then a tragedy sends Katie into the only arms who are there to catch her, and she’ll realize that she needs him more than she ever thought possible. But is she ready to let herself trust another guy with her already-battered heart? Or will she push him away to protect herself from getting hurt again?

Why?
I loved Katie in Deeper We Fall and I was intrigued by her relationship with Stryker and her background.

What I loved:
Katie- I loved loved her! As I suspected she was a much more complex character than she seemed. I enjoyed seeing all the different parts of her personality reveal themselves to the other characters. I  liked how straight forward and direct she could be and how hard she worked for what she wanted. Her character growth throughout the book was well written and very interesting to read, she came across as a very strong character. I especially liked how she dealt with most things to do with Stryker in perspective, no petty misunderstanding etc. very refreshing! 
Stryker- Stryker also came into to his own and emerged as a flawed good guy. I loved how he treated Katie, playing by her rules but still keeping her guessing. He was so supportive of her and I liked how encouraging he was with regards to her future and her self confidence. The sibling dynamic between Trish and Stryker was very well written and reflective of their background- I'm hoping for a future book from Trish's point of view to explore this more. I liked how he approached Katie's family and met their disapproval and questions head on, sticking with Katie when needed. All in all a great character! 
Side cast- Again love them! It was great to see group from different point of view although I missed Will! I think the group dynamic had evolved and their friendships had deepened which made  Aud, for example, more intriguing. I loved the introduction of Strker's band friends, they were a refreshingly fun and welcoming group. I enjoyed the musical banter and impromptu sing-alongs! Allan was my favourite, he seemed like a gentle soul. Katie's family were mostly lovely. Her mother was highly critical and all around a bit controlling. Her dad, however, was the opposite more accepting, he seemed to say all the right things to Katie regarding her self image etc. Kayla was a fun addition, I really enjoyed her background storyline with Adam!
Ending- Great ending! Clear character and relationship development for both Katie and Stryker and Lottie and Zan which was good to read. It gave closure while remaining  open for more books in the series.
Timing- The rapid time progression was brilliant as it meant the relationship developed at a relatively normal pace as opposed to rapidly escalating from just met to full blown relationship!
Rating!


I absolutely loved Katie and Stryker's story! I reread it all the time


Thank you to Chelsea for providing me with a review copy.
I definitely think the next Fall and Rise book will be Trish and Mickey- already looking forward to it!
Expect reviews of Chelsea's latest books this coming Friday and Monday.

Much Love!
Lettie
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!