Monday 23 June 2014

Pawn by Aimee Carter

Are you more than the number on the back of your neck?
For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.
If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister’s niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.
There’s only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered. The same one that got her killed…and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that’s not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she’s only beginning to understand.

Thoughts!
I found Pawn very easy to read, and hard to put down! As this book is so complex it's hard to do an in-depth review without revealing any major plot points so I will keep it short and spoiler free!
The plot was engaging; full of twists and turns with everything that Kitty took for granted  to be based on a lie. The 'dystopic' elements were well thought out and explained. The ranking system was clever and controlling, giving everyone the illusion of equality but taking away their freedom. The concept of 'Masking' was intriguing and I think unique. Kitty was a smart and selfless lead, I enjoyed watching her adapt and flourish as Lila Hart. The Harts themselves were a mixed bag. I found Augusta highly controlling, selfish and slightly insane. Daxton was manipulative and cruel whereas Greyson was lovely and obviously perspective. Celia just seemed unhinged which was understandable in that family. From what Kitty learnt Lila seemed to be a clever but secretive member of the family and very popular. I'm looking forward to the development of these characters and  I loved Knox, he was in such a difficult position but really tried to help Kitty out. Benjy intrigued me, I liked what I saw of him but I'm sure there is more to him! Elsewhere was a truly barbaric practice that I fear will be popping up in the next instalment! I cannot wait to read Captive and see how all the characters adapt to the revelations of Pawn!

Rating!
 
A great new dystopia series with compelling characters and a complex plot!


 
Predicitons!
(no spoilers!)
  • Kitty is a Hart extra, her eyes seem to be a clue!
  • The rest of the country is less controlled.

Have you read Pawn? Do you have any predictions?
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!